Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Quest is On!!

Wow, where does the time go? I cannot believe how much has happened since my last post just two short weeks ago. Remember me mentioning Kristy's plan to take hats to a Ukrainian orphanage? Well,things are spreading like wildfire. The quest is officially now called Kristy's Hat Quest on Ravelry and we are getting new members all the time. The group has only been up a few days and already we have members from all over the world. Most of these people have never heard of Kristy (or me for that matter) and yet they are stepping up to the plate and helping out with this great cause. There is a yarn shop in Maine that has a group of knitters gathering hats, a knitter in Norway who is sending a boxful and a loom knitter in England who is planning on sending some hats. Hooks & Needles Yarn Shop in Oakdale is the official yarn store of the quest and Kaylee is offering discounts on yarn or shipping depending on whether or not you are local to the shop. Kristy's friend RC is sponsoring a contest which will give you one entry for each hat you donate and that drawing will be in September some time. In the meantime, I figured I should get in on the action so ... for all of you who are knitting for the Hat Quest, leave a comment here on the blog letting me know you are doing so and I will have a random drawing on May 31 to determine a winner. The winner will have their choice of either a skein of Mountain Colors Bearfoot
Mountain Colors
or 550 yds of Muskat,
Cotton from Woolstock play pen at Stitches
a mercerized cotton in fingering weight. I realize neither of these yarns is a hat yarn but I am using all my hat yarn up at the moment. I hope this small token of my appreciation will make someone happy.

For those of you who might be wondering: the Marvellous Mitt had a chat with Stephanie's travelling sock while we were at the Maker Faire.
Marvellous Mitt meets travelling sock

It decided that maybe flying isn't so bad after all. Last week, it winged its way to New Jersey for Jen to try on. We don't want a repeat of the sock debacle! Everything is copasetic so the Mitt will hopefully be on its way home soon. I will knit up a mate for it and, before they travel back to New Jersey, they are going to be my very first ever fair entry! I have already entered them in the Stanislaus County Fair Home Arts division so now I have to get them done! Nothing like a deadline to give you incentive. It will be fun to see how they are received.

12 comments:

Melissa said...

Hey Deb,
I am planning on knitting a hat or two sometime in June. I have a purse to finish before June 8th!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

I've filled the box! Now all I need to do is bring it to the post office, this will most likely happen tomorrow.. :)

Take care,
Bea

Anonymous said...

OK,
I'm trying your suggestion re posting comments.
As I've said, I like your Mitt and hope you're able to make its mate before you get "second mitt syndrom"

Kaylee said...

Ok I know which one I like, so pick me, pick me!!!

Kaylee

entoto said...

Hi Deb!

Thanks for cat wrangling all us knitters on Kristy's Hat Quest. I am hoping to get ten hats done. I have three finished and two more on needles.

Regards,
Trixie

Lynn said...

Count me in! I have two hats I dyed with KoolAid just looking for a new home. I think they found it!!

Melissa said...

OK Deb--
I have finished my 1st hat!
I made it in 6 hours
:)

Sara said...

I should be casting on a hat this week-end...and will be taking hat yarn on vacation June 12th...

danielle said...

I am so (happily) ahead of my personal goal...all due to car trips. Another one coming up this weekend but I might start a baby blanket instead of caps on this one...anyway, I hoped to have 5 done by September, and I already have 5 done! And more yarn to use up!

Nicole said...

Hello,
I am planning a hat or two. Actually the hat knitting has become a nice break from my normal sock knitting.

Knittinrn said...

Hey Deb, It's almost midnight, but sign me up! I'll get a few hats made by the deadline!
Julie

Knittinrn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.