Tuesday, January 27, 2009

And the Big News is ....

I have signed up with Team in Training to walk a marathon!! That's right, 26.2 miles in lord only knows how many hours. Those who know me personally will probably realize just how out of the ordinary this is for me. I prefer to knit and read, and if I am going to go any distance without a wheeled vehicle, I prefer it to be on the back of a horse, not on my own two feet. However, I received the Team in Training brochure at a time when I had just lost my second family member in two months along with at least 3 other friends in that time. It seemed like a good time to change my ways and get in shape while raising money for a really good cause. Team in Training raises money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society which is a cause dear to my heart since my aunt Patricia died from leukemia back in 1996. Tricia was the person who got me involved with horses which became a lifelong love.

I will be posting updates here on how the training is going (just started last week) and also how the fundraising is going. I need to raise $4900 in order to participate in the Mayor's Marathon in Anchorage, Alaska on June 20, 2009. It's an awful lot of money but I am hoping to be able to reach this goal. The breakdown for donations to Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is 75% goes to research, patient services,etc while only 25% goes to expenses.

Let's see now, how about some starting statistics. As of yesterday, January 26, I weighed 231 lbs and my measurements are ... well, let's not go there. I will let you know how many inches I lose as I go along, okay? We had our first official meeting last Wednesday but didn't walk cuz it was pouring and our walking coach didn't want to. Thank god I am not a runner cuz they had to go out and do 3 miles! I walked 30 minutes Thursday and Friday, then 4 miles on Sunday in about 1 hr 15 minutes. Mondays are our day off so I am getting ready to head out for 30 minutes right now. Oh yes, I have also been working out 3 days a week at Unlimited Physiques, a 40 minute circuit training set up with about 20 minutes cardio beforehand. Thanks to that workout, I am down 11 lbs since the first of December! Maybe this time, I am finally going to get down somewhere near my so-called optimum weight. If not, so what? I am feeling good, proud of myself for doing well so far and raising money for a great group.

Maybe the next time I post, I will finally have some knitting pictures to put up. In the meantime, here is the link to my fundraising page: Deb's Fundraising Please feel free to make a donation. Everyone who donates over $50 (limited to US residents I am afraid) will receive a gourmet candy apple, covered in chocolate, caramel, nuts, etc. I am working on a special drawing for knitters, more details to follow. Talk to you soon. Take care of yourselves!

No comments: