Sunday, September 9, 2007

First week at work, first weekend at Ren Faire

I did it! I survived my first week at the new job. You would think that as you moved through training, everything would come easier. Instead, it seemed as though the volume of mail built each day until Friday when we processed over 85,000 pieces of mail, handling each piece at least twice as it must be run twice in order to get it in delivery point sequence. I was one tired puppy when we finished, let me tell you! It caused me to make a tactical mistake when I got home. I was supposed to drive straight down to Hollister for the opening weekend of the Renaissance Faire (at Casa de Fruta every weekend from now till Oct 14). Instead, I decided that I really needed just an hour of sleep. Can you see where I am going from here? One hour stretched in to two, then I hit the snooze a couple of times ..... Oh well, I did promise Terri I would be there to work for her on Saturday. Finally made it out of town by about 3 and down to Casa about 5:00.

It was good to see everybody and renew old acquaintances. Most of us see each other only twice a year, the six weeks of Northern and then many of the same folks work at the Dickens Fair held at the Cow Palace each year between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I arrived too late on Saturday to be of much help but worked the breakfast run Sunday morning. Breakfast is for the workers at the faire prior to the gates opening. Have no idea how many people we fed but I know that I alone cut up about a dozen cantaloupe, made copious gallons of orange juice and cracked about 2 1/2 crates of eggs! (I think there are six flats per crate so what is that? about 15 dozen or 180 eggs! Yikes) Lest that sound like I was doing all the prep, there were at least a dozen people in the kitchen so my contribution was only a small part of the whole. Left early to come home and catch some sleep before going in to work tonight at 00:45. Needless to say, I still don't have any knitting pictures. As a matter of fact, I have barely picked up the needles in the last week. I do have Ren Faire related pictures though.


This is me working at the chocolate booth back in 2005. Unfortunately, Steve no longer comes to our faire since he moved to Arizona. Too bad, it was a rough job but someone had to do it.


Jen and Zeus

This is my daughter, Jen, with Zeus, a black percheron gelding used for jousting by the Knights of Avalon, whose pictures follow:

My Knights, Talon, Steve, Quint, and Pony

Last, but by no means least, this is Jen with King, the English Shire gelding who drew her back to the troupe as mentioned in a previous post. She adores King and the feeling is mutual. He is a lovely boy and hopefully he will end up healthy once the vets finally figure out what is the matter with him.
King and Jen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've hardly picked up my camera since I started carrying, but that picture of Jen and King makes me think about the wonderful photos we could get with the right setting, the right preparation, and a little time.