Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Oh my aching everything!

Okay, I did it. I made it through my first day of a very physical job. Not that I have any objection to physical, I rather like it but the last 12 years have been spent in a terminal staring at a computer screen. This morning, I started off "dropping" 6 cages of flats to carrier stations. For those of you at the plant or at stations, you will understand what that means. For the rest of you, let's just say it involves multiple trips (minimum 100+) carrying mail tubs ranging from probably 20 to 30 lbs. Not bad by themselves but boy, do they add up! After that, it was box mail, both flats and letters. Easy enough, except when the boxes are full and the contents need to be bundled and tagged. Everyone was very friendly and I think I will have no problems with the job. One major faux pas, my watch stopped and I worked 20 minutes overtime without realizing it. Good for the pay check but looks bad when you do unauthorized overtime.

I was worried about being able to knit after packing all those tubs but my hands do not feel tooooo bad. Thank heaven for gloves (says the person who detests wearing gloves). It's my feet that hurt the most. Stopped at the drugstore on the way home for a new watch and something for the muscle aches. Pharmacist recommended Tylenol or Alleve so I bought a huge bottle of extra-strenth Tylenol and some new gel inserts for my shoes. Took two Tylenol and fell in to bed. Now, some 5 hrs later, I managed to crawl out without too many ill effects. We will see how I feel later.

Still no knitting pictures but how about something to think cool, instead of whatever inhuman temperature it is out there right now. This is me and my daughter panning for gold in Alaska this past May. My friend Toney took the picture. While it was cool enough to have a sweatshirt on (for a short while), I barely got the chance to wear the sweater I knit just for the trip cuz it was too darn warm. Of course, for me, I would be happy if the temp stayed below 72 degrees all the time, but hey! You expect to be able to wear a sweater in Alaska, don't you?

1 comment:

Lori said...

Oh, ho, Deb! Getting physical is kinda wonderful, and kinda painful. And surprising, no? I bet you'd forgotten some parts of your body until you had to use them, right? Don't worry, you'll get used to it. It'll be easier for you since you've been active your whole life, mainly, so your muscles will forgive you. And they'll tighten up and get nice and strong and sleek. Woohoo! You'll also find yourself walking faster, and don't worry, your back will get stronger because you'll be using your stomach muscles in the lifting you do. Like I've said, who needs to join a gym with a job like this?